Setting the Tone on Live Chat
When monitoring live chat for a client, it’s important that you capture the personality of the company that you are representing. Depending on the company and persona of a brand, the tone and way you speak to customers online will change.
Here are our top 5 tips for setting the tone on live chat:
- Be polite and cheerful. First impressions are key on live chat. No matter who you are representing, you want to make sure that you come across as friendly and happy to assist.
- Don’t be curt or sound irritated with a customer. If a customer is having a bad experience, the sure fire way to make the situation worse is to sound annoyed or as if you don’t care about their concerns. It is your responsibility to help the customer come to a resolution that they are happy with and that is less likely to happen if you are not taking the time to acknowledge their worries. If in doubt, kill them with kindness.
- Match the tone of the customer. Even if you are representing a client that keeps things light hearted and chatty, that doesn’t suit all customers. People are busy and want to get answers fast – if a customer is not asking questions in a manner that seems casual or chatty then make sure you address their questions efficiently. Similarly if the customer is chatty, don’t ignore them or leave them with one word answers.
- Avoid jargon. Customers are speaking to you as they need your assistance so if you keep throwing jargon and technical terms their way, they are more likely to get angry or log off and go to a competitor who is able to assist them. You have to make sure that the customer understands without making them feel like they are silly for asking questions. Remember: there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Finally, don’t be a robot! Live chat is exactly that – a chat! It is a less formal way of engaging with your customers whether it be to sell or offer support. If you are sticking to a script then the chat cannot flow properly. Customers don’t want to speak to a lifeless robot, so be social and natural!
Want to find out more about our Live Chat service? Take a look over here, email us at email@example.com, give us a call on 01475 603280 or speak to us via our own Live Chat!